The MGSA is the student organization which specifically caters to the interests and needs of the graduate student population of UIC's Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science (MSCS).
Our aim is to improve the quality of life for MSCS graduate students here at UIC. We seek to do this on a professional and social level. We act as a communication link between the MSCS Department, the University, and the MSCS graduate students. As such we seek to disseminate pertinent information to our members as we receive it.
Over the years, various events have been organized for the benefit of our members. A regular feature on our events calendar is the weekly teas where students, faculty, and staff can interact socially.
MGSA is an ever evolving for-the-students-by-the-students organization.
Below are some resources for new and old graduate students. Please get in touch with us if you would like to add something to this.
- How to run a seminar at UIC - A handy guide by a current grad student on the minutae of organizing regular meetings.
- Book listing of all Illinois universities - Borrow books from any Illinois university, not just UIC or the UI system.
- Access articles off campus - Find the title with the library's search tool, click "Full Text Online", enter your credentials.
- Show your math pride - Buy UIC math gear at the unofficially official web store.
Electronic mailing lists (listservs)
Join mailing lists to hear about new conferences, talks, books, and general interest news.
- AlgTop-L - Algebraic topology mailing list
- Geometry - Geometry (of all sorts) mailing list
- Computational Geometry - Computational geometry mailing list
A list of websites of lists of math events
Check these websites for events that may not be published elsewhere.